Thursday, January 3, 2008

Heather Canyon Opens

It's true... the Canyon opened Wednesday. The break from the storms Monday and Tuesday provided enough of a window for Meadows' patrol staff to finish their avalanche control work and to set up the necessary rope lines. Any first-hand accounts of what it was like?

Sorry for not posting for a while... I was in Orlando, Florida, during the past few days. But now I'm back... and I'm picking up my newest pair of skis today (Rossi Zenith Z9s -- high-speed cruisers!) following the binding-mount. (I bought them at the ski show two months ago... and just now got around to getting them ready.) But given the forecast for a snowy & stormy weather pattern to continue, those new Z9s of mine may sit in the garage for a while... as my Salomon 1080 Gun (fat) skis stay in the car.

More powder days are coming, but we'll have to wait until the weekend for the snow level to drop back down to below pass-level. Between now and then, it'll snow up at Meadows and Timberline... but it may rain at times at lower areas. From the weekend into early next week, the snow level shouldn't be any higher than 2,500 feet... meaning that a couple feet of additional medium-quality snow can be expected.

While still young, this winter is increasingly behaving like a classic La Winter winter; a little sluggish early, then an onslaught of Pacific storminess that results in deep snow and a rapidly growing base. I have every reason to believe that we're in for more of the same in the coming weeks... frequent snowstorms with only short, occasional breaks of drier and tranquil weather.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drew you should pitch the skis and convert to the dark side! I skiied for about 8 years exclusivly b4 starting the 3 year turn over to boarding starting in '96. I haven't touched my ageing solomon superforce's in a really long time. Powder days and boarding are just euphoric!...until you get stuck...(only drawback). Kudo's to the MHM's ski patrol for there work on Heather! GO La Nina GO! U should check out Cross violations it documents some control work up on Hood. Very eye opening....Nof

Drew Jackson said...

Nof... thanks for the comment. I've tried snowboarding a handful of times... and I think I'll always be a skier. I agree, though, powder days seem more enjoyable to snowboarders. I'm a groomed/fast/steep guy myself. The harder the pack, the better -- I love digging in those sharp edges trying to hold a high speed turn. That's why I'm still a skier I think...